Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which crossbow is fastest?

Which crossbow is fastest?

Im looking to buy my first crossbow. It seems that when it comes to a crossbow, speed is really important. I want to buy a super flat shooting one. What speeds are you all getting with your crossbows?

Went to the dark side:
    Barnett Buck Commander
    Parker Red Hot Scope
    365FPS
    Relaxing in the shootin shacks

barnett paredrtor its shooting 375 fps at 175 draw wi

Scorpyd RDT165 is the current fastest crossbow shooting a 400 grain arrow at 425 fps.
    Gearhead has plans for at least a 500 fps model in the future and maybe 600 fps.
    I believe, the PSE Tac-15 goes to 412 fps.
    Bowman Accu-Riser I and II...Greatest built American bows of all time
    Hamskea Versa Rest, Hogg Father sight, Paridigm stabilizer.
    Scorpyd Crossbows... nothing else compares
    Zeiss Victory HT 10x42 binoculars...simply superb

If you want a good all around hunting bow...look at the Horton Vision 175 or any of the Excaliburs...all 3 of the ones that we own will knock the vanes off your arrows if you shoot at the same spot twice....and blow thru deer like they are made of butter. I dont subscribe to the super fast is the best mentality...either when it comes to bows or guns....my favorite xbow to hunt with is an older model carved tip Excal Vixen..its not the fastest...but it just feels good....good luck with your quest. Robbie

has everyone forgot about the pse tak15 it is basically an ar15 crossbow

Quote Originally Posted by timberframe View Post
    Im looking to buy my first crossbow. It seems that when it comes to a crossbow, speed is really important. I want to buy a super flat shooting one. What speeds are you all getting with your crossbows?
    Do yourself a favor ... do a lot of research before you buy one of the "fastest" crossbows. Be sure you're willing to put up with the foibles of those bows.
    Scorpyd Velocity165 425.5fps @ 426gr & 171KE, Zeiss 3-12 Illum Duralyt, CamX Accuspine, 100gr Firenock SBG RamCats Scorpyd Orion150 Leupold 2.5-8x36mm, AcuDraw, Wyvern BEEs. Swarovski bino, Leica rangefinder, Surefire, Deerelight & Fenix lights.
    White Buffalo Inc. - Project Manager ... Wounded Warrior Project - Mentor ... NRA Life Member 1971

Im fairly confident that any bow i mean any bow will be fast enough to blow through a deer at under 40 yards without the deer jumping the string. As long as its not looking right at you spooked.

I'm not a big fan of cross bows. Never liked them and probably never will. But, a buddy of mine brought over a Barrnet Buck Commander yesterday that he had just bought that afternoon and wanted me to set it up for him. Not too difficult..... Anyway, we got it zeroed in at 20 yds and for a cross bow that thing is pretty quiet. It must be those rubber coated limbs. We ran it through my chronograph and got consistant 368 fps read-outs. I was pretty impressed, but I still don't like'em.......
    Hoyt Carbon Spyder Turbo / Hoyt Spyder 34 / QAD Ultra HDX / Center Circle Bow Strings / Hogg-It Wrapped / Bee Stinger Stabilizer / Carter RX1 / Carter Too Simple / Tru Ball HT/ NAP Spitfire 100 gr. / Easton ACC 3-49 / Blazers / ASAT Camo / Jim Beam / Copenhagen / Ford Trucks
    **Don't Tread On Me**

My Scorpyd RDT 125 is shooting a 400gr arrow Gold tip II with blazers and a 100gr tip at 360fps. And its shooting IMO the best fixed broad ever made the GrizzTrick to the same POI as my field points out to 80yds. Its also the quiets crossbow I have ever shot and at 125# the easiest to cock by far.
    There's a lot of good reading about every bow out there. Some have more issues than others.
    Good luck

Question is: How far in the ground do you want your arrow to stick after it passes through a deer.

Fast bows, not unlike trophy wives, need a lot of tender care. Special arrows, strings and serving is often necessary.Some disintegrate from just being cocked. Component wear is above average. A special press may be required to maintain the. They are fun to shoot, albeit their effective hunting range isn't proportionately greater than their speed. Be sure to g into this well informed with your eyes open wide: Speed does not kill; accurate shot placement does. Speed CAN kill-the bow-that from one who has had a speed bow disintegrate from a nock failure.
    Why do I hunt? Simple, it's BASIC.
    Why do you breathe?!

Excalibur, Mission, single shot rifles and handguns

I cant help but think of it as comparing a shotgun to a flat shooting rifle. With the rifle I can hunt deer to allot longer distances. Is this true with xbow speed.
    Went to the dark side:
    Barnett Buck Commander
    Parker Red Hot Scope
    365FPS

Timber,
    40 yards is about all the farther you want to shoot at an animal. Just because the bow shoots fast and flat does not mean the animal will be there when the arrow does. You have to know your distance exactly and the exact drop at that distance and you have to convince the target not to jump/duck/flinch or spin when they hear the crossbow go off. Inside 40 yards you are usually in good shape, but 30 or 20 is all the better.A fast crossbow is nowhere near the speed of sound or the reaction time of a whitetail.

I cant help but think of it as comparing a shotgun to a flat shooting rifle. With the rifle I can hunt deer to allot longer distances. Is this true with xbow speed.
    Well yes ... to a degree ... Typically there is a price to be paid when you get out to the fringes of "fast." Your 22-250 may be extremely fast, accurate and hard hitting. But ... if you want to push the envelope and get into some hyperspeed wildcats ... problems can begin to rear their ugly head. Bullet disintegration, bullet yawing, pitch poling, throat wear, etc, etc.) As the folks above have said buying the fringe speed bows ... "WHY?" I'm just about the last guy around here to argue AGAINST speed. LOL But ... All I'm saying is "be sure you know what you are buying and be sure whatever the quirks of that bow are ... is acceptable to you." All in all, you're probably never going to kill a deer passed 50 yards with a crossbow. 98% of them will be within 40 yards "IF" you're a proficient shooter and good hunter. I've killed quite a few deer with my crossbow since I took it up last season and only one was over 40 yards. Most were 25 to 33 yards. The point is: you might find that a 7lb, 340fps bow suits your liking better than a 12lb 400+fps bow. That 12lb, bull barreled, 18x scoped, tack driver may suit the bill if you're perched on a hilltop on a blanket with some sandbags 100 feet from your truck ... but it's super speed and sub-MOA accuracy don't look so "necessary" after a half day of dragging it up mountains, through scrub brush, across swamps and then your target pops up at 50 yards. Know what I mean? LOL One more point ... you're smart ... you came on the forum and started asking questions. Getting answers helps guide us through a lot of research and opens our eyes to a lot of things we'd never think of on our own. Good move!
    Scorpyd Velocity165 425.5fps @ 426gr & 171KE, Zeiss 3-12 Illum Duralyt, CamX Accuspine, 100gr Firenock SBG RamCats Scorpyd Orion150 Leupold 2.5-8x36mm, AcuDraw, Wyvern BEEs. Swarovski bino, Leica rangefinder, Surefire, Deerelight & Fenix lights.
    White Buffalo Inc. - Project Manager ... Wounded Warrior Project - Mentor ... NRA Life Member 1971

A marginally valid comparison, timberframe but an arrow, esp one shot from a crossbow, isn't a rifle bullet. An typical crossbow arrow is limited by it's relatively low ballistic coefficient and velocity which prevents it from 'gliding' as bullets do. So the affect of gravitational pull causes it to start falling to earth quickly once it leaves the bow. Accurate estimation of distance-ergo trajectory-becomes critical to hit the target precisely. Speed will get you some advantage in that regard, for what it's worth. But even if you estimate distance /trajectory correctly, the sound of a crossbow (which is quite noticeable) firing at 400 fps from 60 yards will reach the deer well before the arrow arrives. If you're lucky, the target won't have moved. If the target moves-and is lucky-the arrow will have missed it entirely.
    Crossarchery is still a relativley short game for that reason. For me, it's close and personal: under 40 yards max, preferably
    under 30. My bows shoot at 290, 315 and 345 fps....any of them is fast enough to get the job done.
    Why do you breathe?!

The only "time tested" crossbow 380 fps or faster is the Strykeforce, as far as I know. Yep, there are some string speed button issues but other than that the crossbow is bullet proof. The Scorpyd 165 (425 fps) is now popping up with limb breakages and so is PSE's TAC (402 fps).....................so was the Stryker (405 fps) until they discontinued it. If you can be satisfied ( I can :-) with a 330 to 340 fps crossbow, there are some that are not showing signs of limb problems. As an example, I've tried to kill the 337 fps Horton TRT Ultra Lite by sitting it out in the hot summer sun (over 100 degrees for an hour) and left it in my truck repeatedly with the windows rolled up and left it cocked for 2 days and the laminated limbs have shown no signs of giving up.
    MOON

Super Short Recurve Xbows- The Future of Recurve Hunting Xbows

STRYKER 350- LS 390 COMPOUND XBOWS - YOU CAN SPEND MORE .......

Ok the speed of sound is 1100 fps. so the sound still gets to the deer first.

Quote Originally Posted by BowKil View Post
    I'm not a big fan of cross bows. Never liked them and probably never will. But, a buddy of mine brought over a Barrnet Buck Commander yesterday that he had just bought that afternoon and wanted me to set it up for him. Not too difficult..... Anyway, we got it zeroed in at 20 yds and for a cross bow that thing is pretty quiet. It must be those rubber coated limbs. We ran it through my chronograph and got consistant 368 fps read-outs. I was pretty impressed, but I still don't like'em.......
    so what is it that makes crossbows so repulsive to you, and why bother posting in a crossbow forum?????
    I hate Politicians!

Apparently it doesn't take much to impress you.
    Why do you breathe?!

Well so far, I am leaning towards a Barnett Predator. The speed is advertised at 375 fps. I see some reconditioned ones at some great prices. I thought if I got one of those, and put on a good quality scope, it may be a good way to go. What do you all think?
    Went to the dark side:
    Barnett Buck Commander
    Parker Red Hot Scope
    365FPS

pse tac series are very fast....

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
    Well yes ... to a degree ... Typically there is a price to be paid when you get out to the fringes of "fast." Your 22-250 may be extremely fast, accurate and hard hitting. But ... if you want to push the envelope and get into some hyperspeed wildcats ... problems can begin to rear their ugly head. Bullet disintegration, bullet yawing, pitch poling, throat wear, etc, etc.) As the folks above have said buying the fringe speed bows ... "WHY?" I'm just about the last guy around here to argue AGAINST speed. LOL But ... All I'm saying is "be sure you know what you are buying and be sure whatever the quirks of that bow are ... is acceptable to you." All in all, you're probably never going to kill a deer passed 50 yards with a crossbow. 98% of them will be within 40 yards "IF" you're a proficient shooter and good hunter. I've killed quite a few deer with my crossbow since I took it up last season and only one was over 40 yards. Most were 25 to 33 yards. The point is: you might find that a 7lb, 340fps bow suits your liking better than a 12lb 400+fps bow. That 12lb, bull barreled, 18x scoped, tack driver may suit the bill if you're perched on a hilltop on a blanket with some sandbags 100 feet from your truck ... but it's super speed and sub-MOA accuracy don't look so "necessary" after a half day of dragging it up mountains, through scrub brush, across swamps and then your target pops up at 50 yards. Know what I mean? LOL One more point ... you're smart ... you came on the forum and started asking questions. Getting answers helps guide us through a lot of research and opens our eyes to a lot of things we'd never think of on our own. Good move!
    Well said Duke, I Still love my SF,

Well so far, I am leaning towards a Barnett Predator. The speed is advertised at 375 fps. I see some reconditioned ones at some great prices. I thought if I got one of those, and put on a good quality scope, it may be a good way to go. What do you all think?
    You have to ask yourself ... why have they been reconditioned??? Some of the top speed Barnetts apparently have had some issues staying together under the load. Be cautious.

Remember it's not how fast, but were you put the bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
    You have to ask yourself ... why have they been reconditioned??? Some of the top speed Barnetts apparently have had some issues staying together under the load. Be cautious.
    X2

there are better options IMO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast