Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TenPoint Rangemaster VS XB30

TenPoint Rangemaster VS XB30

Did a search and did not find alot about the Rangemaster, how have they held up?

2 StrykeZone 350's
    Browning Illusion
    T.R.U.Ball Short-N-Sweet

I have two of them, one came with my carbon fusion and I liked it so much I put one on my Excalibur Vortex. As far as holding up, I've hunted pretty hard in all types of terrain, weather conditions like rain, snow, freezing rain and it's held up perfect. It's light, compact, fast target acquisition type scope perfectly made for crossbow HUNTING maybe not for target shooters and 3D. But for hunting up to 40 yards (thats as far as i'll shoot at a deer) its the best out because of it's size and weight.

RANGEMASTER - 8.25 inches long.
    13.25 oz.
    XB-30- 10.6 inches long.
    23.2 oz.

I guess it's a good thing because that last dot won't get you 50 yards. I don't know why they spaced the bottom dot the way they did. Compared to the XB30 there is quite a bit of yellowing effect when looking through the TP. They are the only 2 things I don't like about the scope. I love its small size and lighter weight than the XB30.
    MOON

Super Short Recurve Xbows- The Future of Recurve Hunting Xbows

STRYKER 350- LS 390 COMPOUND XBOWS - YOU CAN SPEND MORE BUT.......

I didn't know they made them with yellowing. Thanks now I'm going to start seeing yellow when I look through it. Honestly pops I'm not enough of a scope expert to notice the yellow if it is there.

Actually the 50 yard dot being at 47-48 yards is not a problem at all seeing that I'm not going to shoot that far at any animal, I would say that I'd rather have a yellow, dot off, light, compact scope than the cement block you have in the XB30 but I would only be kidding .......and I am. I'm sure the XB30 that you like is an awesome scope.

HMmmm... Moon's "cement block with lenses." LOL I like that.
    Scorpyd Velocity165 425.5fps @ 426gr & 171KE, Zeiss 3-12 Illum Duralyt, CamX Accuspine, 100gr RamCats, & Firenocks. Scorpyd Orion150 Leupold 2.5-8x36mm, AcuDraw. Swarovski bino, Leica rangefinder, Surefire, Deerelight & Fenix lights.
    White Buffalo Inc. - Project Manager ... Wounded Warrior Project - Mentor ... NRA Life Member 1971

Ok, "son", I get your drift. Sparkkky may very well feel differently than you do about the yellowing effect and he asked for opinions. I apologize for having one (opinion). Now go play
    MOON

Who would want a yellowing scope, I know I wouldn't.
    I retract my suggestion.

You can't do that Lots of folks couldn't care less or even know it's there (yellowing effect). The Hawke MAP and SR also make whites look yellow. It seems to me that scopes which do, also are not quite as good in low light transmission.
    MOON

Yellow, and ... fringe fuzzy I can't deal with. Well, I can if I "HAVE" to by using concentration, but I "won't" unless I have to. I'm pretty persnickety with optics. I want nothing distracting my focus on my POA. Once you lock onto the spot you want your bullet or arrow to hit, I don't want a fuzzy outline or strange tint pulling my brain out of the pending or potential shot when I get behind the scope. The XB-30 has a pretty crisp sight picture. Your optics are your brain’s window on the shot. You want to be looking through a yellow or hazy window??? Simply put, I don’t want to have to think about my equipment when I hit the woods. Buy top quality gear and you can then “fohgettaboutit.” There should never be the slightest doubt in the gear you choose. It’s never going to distract you and it’s going to perform to the highest level first time, every time. It promotes self confidence. You can “be all you can be” with good gear. If you have any question about your equipment, I think it seeps into your subconscious and effects YOUR performance without you even realizing it.
    Scorpyd Velocity165 425.5fps @ 426gr & 171KE, Zeiss 3-12 Illum Duralyt, CamX Accuspine, 100gr RamCats, & Firenocks. Scorpyd Orion150 Leupold 2.5-8x36mm, AcuDraw. Swarovski bino, Leica rangefinder, Surefire, Deerelight & Fenix lights.
    White Buffalo Inc. - Project Manager ... Wounded Warrior Project - Mentor ... NRA Life Member 1971

Yes I would agree with that Duke 100% and I would also add I've seen guys that have there confidence boosted and actually perform better by just the idea of top notch equipment weather it has any merit or not, but it made them perform at a higher level and the bottom line is it succeeded in making them better, which I believe is a good thing. And I've seen people talked into believing things. Your mind and it's perception is a powerful thing that the very idea of the best of the best can affect our performance and cloud the line where actual performance and perception meet. But I'm all for the bottom line and that's ....whatever makes me better.

I tend to take the short cut on my thoughts and explanation as to why I use certain products. With that said:

Nothing is more important to me than what I see or don't see when hunting or shooting....period. For that reason I normally end up with optics that actually cost more than what they are sitting on.

I've heard it said that if you have a $2,000.00 rifle and put a $59 scope on it.....you just made it a $59 rifle

Buy the best optics you can afford and you will never regret it, except possibly having your wife beat you over the head with a frying pan:-)
    MOON

The rule of thumb that I used growing up was to spend AT LEAST $100 more on the optics that the rifle you mounted them on. That may need to be adjusted for inflation. So if you spend $1000 on a good gun (or crossbow), don't turn it into a $300 one by using cheap optics.

Seriously.....that's the answer? Buy the best and I won't regret it. Forgive me if I say that sounds like a sales pitch I've heard from some slickback haired salesmen I've talked with. But there is truth in that statement just the same. I'm really trying to learn as much as I can but I like to kick and scream a little along the way. Please don't give up on me. Lol

Never heard ... anybody complaining that their optics were TOO good. Seen plenty of people looking to upgrade their optics because they were too second-rate though. Crossbow optics are at the infant stage in my opinion, with a lot of Mickey Mouse stuff to wade through. Again, in my opinion, the Hawke stuff is pretty decent. As time goes by, I’m leaning more and more to biting the bullet and making the jump to a Zeiss Conquest coupled with the HHA and ending all the trumpery & speculative upgrading. Buy once & then fohgettaboutit.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
    Never heard ... anybody complaining that their optics were TOO good. Seen plenty of people looking to upgrade their optics because they were too second-rate though. Crossbow optics are at the infant stage in my opinion, with a lot of Mickey Mouse stuff to wade through. Again, in my opinion, the Hawke stuff is pretty decent. As time goes by, I’m leaning more and more to biting the bullet and making the jump to a Zeiss Conquest coupled with the HHA and ending all the trumpery & speculative upgrading. Buy once & then fohgettaboutit.
    Is parallax not a issue with rifle scopes on a crossbow?
    2 StrykeZone 350's
    Browning Illusion
    T.R.U.Ball Short-N-Sweet

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkkky View Post
    Is parallax not a issue with rifle scopes on a crossbow?
    Frankly ... I don't see parallax as ANY issue whatsoever. Parallax IS an issue at extremely long rifle ranges at high magnification, and only then if your stock weld is inconsistent. It’s been my understanding that with "good" glass; the worst possible error would be 1 MOA, and that’s if you have your eye as misaligned as humanly possible with your scope. In real close the issue to me is focus at high magnification. At 9x you get blur at 10 yards, so you turn down the magnification. Again, I never have given parallax ANY thought and I’ve killed a lot of cervids. Consistent cheek weld to your stock produces proper eye alignment to your crosshairs and eliminates parallax issues altogether. If I recall correctly quality optics and glass also reduce susceptibility to parallax problems because of quality control, no glass aberrations, and good reticle to objective lens alignment. SOooo ... two of my philosophies come into play here #1. Buy the best gear you can afford. In this case ... High quality optics reduce or eliminate equipment caused parallax. #2. Proper practice produces perfect performance. It’s 90% about the shooter, not the equipment. Practice proper repetitive cheek weld or stock weld and you will reduce parallax to completely insignificant levels. It’s my opinion that cheek weld is second in superior marksmanship importance only to proper trigger control. Practice, practice, practice!!!!

I have a $80.00 rifle scope on my $500.00 crossbow. I have been using for 4 years now and I'm still using it for hunting and 3D archery. I have no problems with the scope and I'll never buy a crossbow scope.
    TenPoint Titan TL-9 #100 Crossbow
    Tasco 2.5-10x42mm Mil-Dot Scope
    Easton Fatboys 500's - 18"
    QuickSpins 1 1/2"
    Tenpoint Crossbows Rule

I'm seriously considering a new crossbow pending my situation from a 2nd rotator surgery on the same shoulder. Based on Duke's response I'm in total agreement with his points on optics. I currently have a Luepold Vari X III 2-8 power that I took off one of my rifles when installing a new Zeiss Conquest. Will the Luepold with this power range be an adequate scope for a crossbow coupled with the HHA Optimizer or will it simply add more weight then one should typically consider since most of the crossbows are not that light to begin with. All my deer hunting is a minimum of 1/2 -3/4mile walk-in's. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by NDPronghorn View Post
    I'm seriously considering a new crossbow pending my situation from a 2nd rotator surgery on the same shoulder. Based on Duke's response I'm in total agreement with his points on optics. I currently have a Luepold Vari X III 2-8 power that I took off one of my rifles when installing a new Zeiss Conquest. Will the Luepold with this power range be an adequate scope for a crossbow coupled with the HHA Optimizer or will it simply add more weight then one should typically consider since most of the crossbows are not that light to begin with. All my deer hunting is a minimum of 1/2 -3/4mile walk-in's. Thanks!
    My opinion ... nice scope. I'm putting my 2.5-8x36mm Leupold coming off my .22RF Volquartsen onto my HHA/Strykeforce. With a Zeiss going on the Volquartsen. Again ... in my opinion weight vs sight picture quality is absolutely no contest with me. Nothing is more important than sight picture. To get a top shelf sight picture you have to spend the money for quality optics. I "think" Leupold's custom shop can reset the "parallax" for other than 100 yards if you so desire. My 2.5-8x is set for 30 yards.

Duke, what would be your suggestion for a sighting set up for my hunting conditions?
    I hunt very thick areas where deer are moving from one point to another. There are only " windows " around me for clear shots and the animals are only in these windows very briefly at best. Need to acquire quickly.

Oh and there runways can be a section of ground say 50yards wide or more. No exact trail.

Quote Originally Posted by VINSON SCOTT View Post
    Duke, what would be your suggestion for a sighting set up for my hunting conditions?
    I hunt very thick areas where deer are moving from one point to another. There are only " windows " around me for clear shots and the animals are only in these windows very briefly at best. Need to acquire quickly.
    Apparently ... a fair number of folks are okay with zero to 4x and fixed power optics on their crossbows. I think it could possibly be because they don’t realize they have other options. The manufacturers are selling what the “red headed stepchild” crossbow market has traditionally swallowed as being crossbow suitable. The crossbow market is now developing from the afterthought market into a vibrant young powerhouse. I think a lot of things that were previously acceptable will be challenged in the coming years. Personally, I don’t like low magnification. I do like high quality variable power scopes. It escapes me why people purchase a fixed 3x when you can use a 3x-9x thereby “having your cake and eating it too.” Stop and think ... how many fixed power rifle or shotgun scopes are sold these days? I’m guessing one for every thousand variables. Don’t we think there is a good reason for that? Before we go to the “it’s a short range weapon” contention, take a trip over to the airgun sites and see what kind of glass they’re using on their 15 to 25 yard airguns. You won’t find a little scope in the bunch. http://www.pyramydair.com/a/Accessor...A2D9A6DE.app02 You can set your glass on 2x or 3x and be ready for quick target acquisition, or you can acquire a slow moving animal and zoom up to 7x or 9x and have a precision POA to work with. You can set on 3x for walking in, and reset to 7x while on stand. My point being your options are open to whatever conditions you’re in ... and whatever your personal comfort zone is. I’ve worked with pros from Australia, New Zealand, west coast, mid-west and east coast. The predominant scope is a 4.5-14xAO and most of the kills are between 8x and 11x. I’ve found my natural inclination is exactly that; I start out with the scope at about 8x to 11x crank it up to 14x on longer range shots. In the woods with a slug gun I’m set at 9x and crank it DOWN if it’s getting dark and I need more light and can only shoot close because I can only see close. I practice a lot at multiple shots at various distances for accuracy and speed. 7 yards out to 100 yards in 5 round sequences. You have to make choices on adjusting your magnification AND adjusting your Adjustable Objective lens during those sessions AND “do you do it when shooting the sequence???” thereby losing time. I rarely adjust the AO and never the magnification. Again, I find my magnification is instinctively set between 8x & 11x. You can get very good at fast target acquisition and deadly accuracy if you practice it ... and you have strong fundamentals. (Breathing, trigger control & cheek weld)
    So ... bottom line here is: I like a variable power scope with an Adjustable Objective lens. The top shelf glass with an AO is VERY expensive. That brings us to the Airgun offerings. In my opinion, Hawke is head and shoulders above all the others. My personal opinion is that Hawke glass is on a par with Leupolds glass. I think Leupold might be a more durable scope, but if you’re not going to knock the snot out of your equipment you can get a good sight picture at a very reasonable price AND get an Adjustable Objective lens in the deal if you are disposed to adding another “factor” into the shooting equation. (Setting the AO). On my crossbow, I set the focus on the AO to 35 yards and pretty much leave it. I’ve been pretty satisfied with a Hawke Airmax and with the AO I can shoot in the basement at high magnification. Otherwise, if you don’t like the additional complication & decision making brought on with an AO, you can purchase the fixed parallax models. Or ... go with one of the reasonably priced Leupold, Nikon, etc, etc., shotgun/muzzleloader 50 yard parallax pre-set ... your options are pretty good. Once again, I personally don't see parallax as an issue, what the AO does for me is to allow crystal clear focus at higher magnification for close in shooting. That ... my friend ... is how I view the sit-she-a-tion! LOL Hope it helps open some avenues for you to consider.

Thanks, great job explaining it by the way, you mentioned you like AO for clarity at higher magnification at closer range. How clear are we talking without it under same situation and what magnification are you relating this all too if I'm following you correctly. Because if you went with a lower range variable scope for example opposed to a 14X. And also why such a high magnification for crossbow use....unless it doesn't add to the cost.

The current crossbow scopes available are adequate for the majority of hunters. Look at a few and decide which works the best for you. If you decide to use a heavier and larger rifle scope, parallax will not be an issue, plus the fact that parallax error magmifies at closer distances so as it's increasing, the distance is decreasing....minimizing the effect.

Crossbows are heavy, especially for older hunters and those with shoulder problems as many of us have. Smaller and lighter weight crossbow scopes with multiple aiming point reticles work fine for the large majority of hunters.

I like the concept of using a single aiming point quality rifle scope with the HHA Optimizer for 3D tournaments but I cannot convince myself to add that extra weight to my hunting crossbow, especially since my average shot distance will be less than 30 yards where I hunt.

IMO, there are 2 extremes. One being putting a $59 scope of poor optical quality and features on a hunting crossbow and the other being putting a 2.5 lb large rifle scope with a distance adjustable base on a hunting crossbow. Again, IMO, I think somewhere in the middle is the way to go for the majority of hunters.
    MOON

Quote Originally Posted by VINSON SCOTT View Post
    Thanks, great job explaining it by the way, you mentioned you like AO for clarity at higher magnification at closer range. How clear are we talking without it under same situation and what magnification are you relating this all too if I'm following you correctly. Because if you went with a lower range variable scope for example opposed to a 14X. And also why such a high magnification for crossbow use....unless it doesn't add to the cost.
    I’m not... particularly advocating a 4.5-14x scope, although I personally don’t have any issue with them. I just mentioned the 14x in the context of showing an example. Once again, they start at 4.5x and that’s low enough for me. BUT ... in my opinion the high volume production 3x-9x is probably the best buy out there because ALL the manufacturers produce a zillion of them. It’s an extremely competitive niche in the market so the consumer gets relatively low prices. For example no Zeiss scope comes close to the price of the 3-9x40mm Conquest. So, if somebody wanted to go with the more well known manufacturers, the top buys are in 3-9x. Now in Hawke, I think for the same money you have choices from 2-7x up to 4-16x and a lot in between to choose from at reasonable prices. So, for the most part it doesn’t add to the price. Now, back to the common 3-9x; at 3x it goes low enough to cover any close in crossbow shooting and gives the option of additional precision up to a high of 9x. I’ve gotten “on” deer at 12x way out, no need for binoculars to determine what kind of head gear the deer is sporting and I can stay “in the scope” and on target all the way in. No need for additional shooter movement. In my opinion, unless there are vision issues or F&W no magnification regulations, there is no situation with a crossbow where 3x isn’t better than no magnification. We’re not talking charging rhinos here, nor are we talking jump shooting at flushed deer at 10 yards. On top of that, probably 90% of crossbow kills are on relaxed, quiet deer where you could be using 24x if you wanted. Again, there's a lot to choose from and your own personal criteria will of course be plugged into your decision. I'm stating how I look at the situation along with some of my background so you can get an idea of "where I'm coming from," and why I use what I use.

As to close in clarity, at 18 yards in my Shop, I get crystal clear clarity with an Airmax above 9x. I think I have a 3-12x50mmAO and a 3-12x40mmAO. As I’ve said, they’re not spectacular. Zeiss, Leica and Swarovski are spectacular; but the Hawkes are “good.” In my opinion, hold their own against the Nikons and Leupolds for sight picture.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast